Friday, April 2, 2010

Filling the mahogany

Here I have finish sanded to 320 grit. Masked it off and wiped it down with denatured Alcohol.
I am using Lawrence-McFadden mahogany wood filler.
I thin it out with Mineral spirits. This stuff is almost like clay. I personally don't see how you can use this with out thinning it. I thin it to a consistency of creamy peanut butter. 

I apply it quickly as this stuff dries very fast. I use a plastic scraper and go across the grain to remove the excess. I then wipe across the grain with a rag to remove the rest.


I do this two times then wait 1 week for it to fully dry and then I seal it with a full strength coat of vinyl sealer. I then remove the masking and scuff sand the vinyl sealer coat with 320 grit sand paper. Re-mask and then wipe it down with mineral spirits.
Now for the transparent red lacquer to give this the look I am after.

No comments: